This chickpea salad is my go-to meal after a long day. It's easy, tasty and good for you!
For those of you who don't know I was a vegetarian for about four years. Going vego was a pretty blasphemous thing to do considering my South American background, where every meal contains a hunk of meat. So when I made the choice to become a vegetarian I found myself cooking a lot more. This warm chickpea salad is one of the many dishes that hark back to my vego days.
I am now reformed and back to eating meat, much to the delight of my entire Chilean family! But I still do enjoy eating vegetarian dishes. I always feel a little more nourished when I do and for those that fear never being full after a veggie dish, fear not this chickpea salad has got satisfaction written all over it.
Quick Chickpea Salad with Tomato and Ricotta
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
- 400g chickpeas (tinned are fine, and always a good pantry staple)
- 1 1/2 tomatoes
- 1/2 a brown onion
- teaspoon of chilli flakes
- teaspoon of mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon ricotta (omit for vegan)
- Bag of spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for cooking
- olive oil, salt & pepper for dressing
- Finely dice your half an onion and heat up your coconut oil in a pan
- Place onions in the hot oil and add your chilli flakes and mixed herbs, mixing well so it clings on to the onion.
- Once the onion has browned add your chickpeas and tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes
- Add your dollop of ricotta to the mix, and stir through.
- Place your warm chickpeas on a bed of spinach and season with salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil
- We told you it was easy! Enjoy
From The Table Top x