A family recipe, which is perfectly decadent.
This has been a family favourite ever since I can remember. Every gathering comes with a lemon meringue pie made from my mum.
This delicious pie offers everything from a buttery base, a tangy lemon filling and a sweet soft meringue. It's the mecca of pies in my opinion. And here lovely friends is the key to mecca, Angi's lemon meringue pie recipe.
Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep time: 50 mins Cook time: 13 mins Serves: 10
- Pie Crust
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Margarine
- 2 Tbspn caster sugar
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 cup of lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- Mix the butter, and sugar together and sift through the flour. Add an egg and continue to mix make sure the pastry is buttery and soft.
- Add the pastry to the tin and spread evenly, make sure you place the crust all the way to the edges of the tin.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes at 180C or until golden brown and take out of the oven.
- Pour the condensed milk out, and add the lemon juice slowly so as to not split the milk mix carefully and add the rest of the juice. Add the egg yolk and blend with the hand mixer until smooth and silky
- Add the mix to the pie crust
- separate the egg whites from the yolk & add the sugar mix with the mixer until you have soft peaks
- to decorate you can either add the meringue with a spoon or use a pastry bag and decorate delicately
- Place in the oven at 150 for 3 minutes or until the meringue browns. Keep an eye on it, as it browns very quickly
Enjoy everybody - merry christmas. From The Table Top x