The perfect crowd pleaser, which will make you look like a superstar!
Last weekend we spent some time with my beloved uncle Enzo. He is famous for his paella, and it's always a show when he makes one for the whole family.
So it was only natural that he was top of my list for the next instalment of cook not chef.
Enzo had everything ready to go when we arrived, and guided us through meticulous magic of making a paella.
As we prepared the spanish paella, we helped ourselves to some Sangria (it was the right thing to do!), and if I could have bottled the smells in the kitchen as we fried off the protein, you would want to be buying it right this instance. We talked about what he thought the most important elements are in making a paella, he said it's a show when you cook a spanish paella, so it's always important to think about how you are going to decorate the dish, but really that
There is no wrong or right way to make a paella, everyone has their own way of cooking it. Just make it taste the way you like it!
We recommend following the recipe below, because it's just the way we like it. You might be wondering about the Paella pan - we used a 42cm pan and this worked over the gas kitchen stove, if you are entertaining for more people you can cook this with a 100cm over a rounded BBQ. This is the way I remember it always being prepared growing up, everyone surrounding the BBQ hoping to get a piece of chorizo!
Thank you Enzo for letting us into your house and sharing your cooking secrets with us.
Prep time:20 mins Cook time:45 mins Serves:5
- 2 cups of dry white wine
- 1 tsp of saffron
- 1 regular capsicum - cut julienne
- 1 red onion - cute in squares
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tomatoes peeled, cut in half and de-seed & dice
- 2 cups of green beans & peas
- 1/2 kg thigh chicken fillet
- 2 large Chorizo's
- 10-12 Mussels
- 300g prawns
- 5 king prawns
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 200g squid
- 2 1/2 arborio rice
- 6Tbsps of olive oil
- Place saffron in dry white wine fro 1 hr prior to cooking
- Have all items chopped and ready to go before starting paella
- Place olive oil in Paella pan
- Fry off the chorizo to brown, and also infuse the oil with the chorizo. Remove and place in a separate bowl
- Fry off all the elements in the following order ( chicken, king prawns, 300g prawns, squid), again removing from paella pan each time and placing into a separate bowl.
- In the oil, where you have fried all the protein place the, garlic, onion. tomatoes add salt
- Put rice ( uncooked) in with white wine saffron mix
- Mix until all wine is gone
- Add Stock, peas & beans
- Add chicken & chorizo let rest for 2-3 mins
- Add squid & smaller prawns and mussels
- Place capsicum long ways coming from the centre of the pan
- Place king prawns in between the capsicum
- Leave cooking for about 20 mins or until all stock is absorbed and rice is cooked evenly .
- Let rest for 5 mins before serving