Dumplings, Brazilian BBQ chicken, Udon, Asian grocers, Chatswood is your one stop shop for all of these things and more!
A few weekends back, indulgence was on the menu, as I ventured out to the suburb of Chatswood to meet my friend Viv who frequents the area on a daily basis. I must say I am not a very familiar with the suburb, so having her was so key to uncovering some great eats, popular with the locals, and now popular with me. I left feeling super happy after a day of eating & exploring with a good friend - but I mean that’s pretty much my ideal day.
Chatswood is one of the major hubs in the North Shore, and is popular amongst many for its asian cuisine options. It has many small malls scattered around the suburb, which are filled with endless food stalls and options, but stick with us and we will point out the best ones. Chatswood has some great pedestrian only access streets, so we set off like the great explorers that we are to get some food in our bellies( plus we could justify a few extra bits of food along the way if we were on foot!)
Enjoy this guide, which myself and Viv have carefully put together, to make your day of eating in Chatswood that little bit more special.
Use our hand-drawn map to guide you through the streets over yonder (the bridge).
1. Mamak - Shop P9, 1-5 Railway Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067
Mamak is one of my favourite eateries in chinatown, for both its price and taste. So I was so happy to see the sister store awaiting me away from the Chatswood bustle.
2. Tim Ho Wan - The District -2067, 1 Railway St, Chatswood, NSW 2067
3. New Yen Yen Supermarket - Shop 1, 2 Endeavour St, Chatswood, NSW 2067
4. New Shanghai Lemon grove shopping centre, Shop 20, Lemon Grove Plaza 427 - 441 Victoria Ave Chatswood, NSW 2067 /// Chatswood Chase, B38, Chatswood Chase 345 Victoria Avenue Chatswood, NSW 2067
5. East West Gourmet - stall No. 204, Level 2, Mandarin Centre, 61-65 Albert Avenue, Chatswood, NSW 2067
6. M&G butchery - 24 Spring St, Chatswood NSW 2067
7. Tim’s BBQ - 21 Spring St Chatswood NSW
8. Din Tai Fung -1 Anderson St, Chatswood NSW 2067
9. Marukame Udon - 332 Victoria Ave, Chatswood NSW 2067
10.Khao Pla - Shop 7/370 Victoria Avenue Chatswood.
Feel like Thai? Khao Pla is the destination you should pop into your google map. The kitchen is manned by renowned chef Pla Rojratanavichai and is known for their fully flavoured dishes and excellent atmosphere. Khao Pla achieves that “breathe of the wok” or “Wok Hei” as is known in Chinese culture, meaning you get the fleeting seared taste of the well used and seasoned wok. A perfect balance of heat, oil and water for this process to be achieved and we think that Khao Pla does just that.